Tuesday, April 24, 2007

British English Vs Malaysia English

  • Ours is simple,short,concise, straight-to-point, effective etc.
  • The English did invent the English Language, but they cannot use it economically when communicating their intentions.
  • Compare these phrases that Malaysians and Britons use to say the same thing: So, why make things so confusing and waste of money when you are and a long distance call.
  • WHEN GIVING A CUSTOMER BAD NEWS
  • Britons: I'm sorry, Sir, but we don't seem to have the sweater you want in your size, but if you give me a moment, I can call the other outlets for you.
  • Malaysians: No Stock.
  • RETURNING A CALL
  • Britons: Hello, this is John Smith. Did anyone page for me a few moments ago?
  • Malaysians: Hallo, who page?
  • ASKING SOMEONE TO MAKE WAY.
  • Britons: Excuse me, I'd like to get by. Would you please make way?
  • Malaysians: S-kew me
  • WHEN SOMEONE OFFERS TO PAY
  • Britons: Hey, put your wallet away, this drink is on me.
  • Malaysians:No-need, lah.
  • WHEN ASKING FOR PERMISSION
  • Britons: Excuse me, but do you think it would be possible for me to enter through this door?
  • Malaysians: (pointing the door) can ar?
  • WHEN ENTERTAINING
  • Britons: Please make yourself right at home.
  • Malaysians: Don't be shy, lah!
  • WHEN DOUBTING SOMEONE
  • Britons: I don't recall you giving me the money.
  • Malaysians: Where got?
  • WHEN DECLINING AN OFFER
  • Britons: I'd prefer not to do that, if you don't mind.
  • Malaysians: Doe-waaaan!
  • IN DISAGREEING ON A TOPIC OF DISCUSSION
  • Britons: Err. Tom, I have to stop you there. I understand where you're coming from, but I really have to disagree with what you said about the issue.
  • Malaysians: You mad, ah?
  • WHEN ASKING SOMEONE TO LOWER THEIR VOICE.
  • Britons: Excuse me, but could you please ! lower your voice, I'm trying to concentrate over here.
  • Malaysians: Shaddap lah!
  • WHEN ASKING SOMEONE IF HE/SHE KNOWS YOU.
  • Britons: Excuse me, but I noticed you staring at me for some time. Do I know you?
  • Malaysians: See what, see what?
  • WHEN ASSESSING A TIGHT SITUATION.
  • Britons: We seem to be in a bit of a predicament at the moment.
  • Malaysians: Die-lah!!
  • WHEN TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT HAD HAPPENED
  • Britons: Will someone tell me what has just happened?
  • Malaysians: Wat happen Why lidat?ADUI!!! (jumping to conclusion)
  • WHEN SOME ONE DID SOMETHING WRONG
  • Britons: This isn't the way to do it here let me show you.
  • Malaysians:Hoi!!!u pig ar lidat also doe no how to do!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.